About this archive

H. Jean Frank is an artist working in a variety of mediums including charcoal, pencil, pen, oil paint, acrylic paint, gouache, and more. To come along on my art adventures, read my blog below.

Saturday, March 7, 2026

2026 Portraits Progress

The portrait I started on is awful, it's like I don't know what I am doing at all. I even used transfer paper to transfer it exactly from a photograph by tracing it, and the composition suffered for it. In addition, the oil paint is just spinning, and coming up and not sticking. So much for using a smooth surface! It worked when I was putting down the drawing, that was the easy part. It's really quite mandatory to have a vision for the piece as a piece of fine art, although I do give myself credit for wanting to make it a commercial endeavor. As in, if I could do a commission, that would be proof of concept.

The Portrait

Can I paint a portrait from a photo? Proof of concept in progress. VR asked me to make this portrait years ago; and I'm finally gatherin...